Thursday, February 4, 2010

Project Needlemouse: Sonic the Hedgehog 4


This is the greatest day in video-gaming history*. And no, I'm not saying this because I'm the world's biggest Sonic Fanboy.

Sega just announced that the much hyped Project Needlemouse is indeed Sonic The Hedgehog 4.

[pause for giggling like a schoolgirl]

Yes, my friends. That's Sonic - The - Hedgehog - and then a number 4 (four). If you are good with numbers, you must be aware that four comes right after three. Is this not a glorious day?

This is an event only comparable to the advent of the New Super Mario Bros. series (actually, it's very similar) except for the fact that Sonic kicks Mario's ass*. What they've done is that they have returned to the classic naming convention, thus making a direct sequel to the classic 16-bit-era games, forsaking the 3D crap they had been forced to make to keep up with an industry that was growing out of control. Street Fighter IV is also a good example. There is hope.

I mean, 3D games were mandatory, and I must admit Sonic Adventure was a pretty decent game*. But then they just went nuts, and now I know why. They wanted to build up anger and frustration so we could better appreciate the glory of Sonic in his true 2D goodness when he made his triumphant return.

Let's take a moment to embrace the return of the prodigal son of video games, Sonic the Hedgehog.

According to several sources the game will be episodic, fully 2D and the story (and gameplay mechanics) will pick up RIGHT where Sonic & Knuckles left off. I can only hope they don't decide to turn him into a sword-wielding werewolf on the last minute before launch.

Now I have something to look forward to in life. I will fire up this game, gather my kids around the living room TV, and show them what REAL video games are like. Eventually they'll get to play after I've gathered all the chaos emeralds and beaten every episode.

I'll do my best to keep you posted in any news pertaining this game. Now I'm off to cuddle my Sonic plushies*.

*This is because I'm the world's biggest Sonic Fanboy.

No comments: